Feelling better and staying stronger is important during cancer treatment. The type of food you eat will determine your overall well-being during the process. Chemotherapies and Physiotherapies are pretty harsh and invasive. Fortunately, keeping a healthy diet will help you feel better and give you a fast recovery.
The first important thing to take into account is that you should not follow diets that will leave you short on nutrients. In fact, nutrients are what you need the most. The next thing to consider is to try to eat even if you are not hungry. The sensation of eating food without wanting it is not a pleasant one but remember that you need the food. In the long run, it will pay off positively.
- Fill your plate with fruits and vegetables. If you are having a meal, make sure you consume them with the meals or after them.
- Whole grains and cereals are at the base of the food pyramid for a reason. They are an important source of carbohydrates and other important nutrients. Make sure you add them to your diet.
- If you drink carton juices, make sure they are pasteurized and 100% fruit. This is important since you are probably more susceptible to germs.
- Choose lean meats and fish over red meat.
- Try to avoid sugary foods. They will just add a lot of calories to your system without adding nutrients.
- A leafy green salad is always a good option to accompany your meal. The greener, the better.
- Choose foods or snacks that are high in calories but also high in nutrients. Try nuts, avocado, puddings, beans, and cereals.
- Drink lots of water and foods with high fiber content. This is mostly to avoid constipation.
- Try to eat foods that can be easily chewed. Soften and moisten foods that are too dry.
With a proper and healthy diet, you will be able to more easily cope with the effects of your cancer treatment.